Since my last post I have been working through the learning paths on the uni studydesk, as well as drafting Assignment 2. As part of the coursework I have been asked to share the decisions I have made about the unit of work I’ve been developing for Assignment 2 so far:
What is the context (especially year level)?
Year 9 Health
What are the learning objectives?
HPE Health Essential Learnings and Standards
Ways of working
- research, analyse and evaluate data, information and evidence
- propose, justify, implement and monitor plans or actions to achieve goals, address inequities and promote health and wellbeing, movement capacities and personal development
- reflect on health inequities, and identify the impact of diverse influences on health and well being, movement capacities and personal development, and the best use of positive influences
Knowledge and understanding
- Adolescents can meet their specific nutritional needs through eating foods that reflect the dietary guidelines
The State of Queensland (Queensland Studies Authority). (2007). Health & Physical Education (HPE) Essential Learnings by the end of Year 9. Retrieved October 21, 2012, from http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/early_middle/qcar_el_hpe_yr9.pdf
English Australian Curriculum
Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features
Following the structure of an argument which has a series of sequenced and linked paragraphs, beginning with an outline of the stance to be taken, a series of supported points that develop a line of argument, and a conclusion which summarises the main line of argument (ACELY1746).
ACARA, (2012). Year 9. Retrieved October 20, 2012 from http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/Year9
What are the assessment criteria you’ll use?
Weeks 1-3: Monitor and observe student understanding and participation during first 3 weeks of unit using observational checklist
End of week 3: Students submit process journal for verbal feedback from teacher
Weeks 3-5: Students provide verbal feedback to fellow group members during development of survey and campaign
End of week 4: Students submit process journal and persuasive presentation for verbal feedback from teacher
Persuasive argument presentation and campaign:
Year 9 Health students persuade their cohort to join the campaign to make healthier changes to the College tuckshop. Presentation can be executed in a number of ways. For example: oral, powerpoint presentation, video etc.
Contains all research, notes, survey questions and data, evaluations, reflections etc. used to record all information during the unit. The process journal aids in the creation of the persuasive argument presentation.
English KLA Criteria:
English / Year 9 / Literacy / Creating texts
– Discerning selection, organisation and synthesis of a variety of relevant ideas and information for different purposes and audiences
– Discerning use of a variety of textual and language features to achieve different purposes and effects:
- written features
- spoken/signed features
- non-verbal features
- visual features
HPE KLA Criteria:
Knowledge and Understanding
– Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts and procedures
– Insightful identification of questions and issues to plan and conduct investigations
– Insightful analysis and evaluation of information and evidence to communicate well-reasoned conclusions and decisions
Implementing and Applying
– Skilful application of concepts and skills
– Perceptive reflection on influencing factors, actions and learning